I thought that I would deviate from my usual and share a recipe. One companion activity to gardening is cooking! – I do love to cook and bake…I’m a little weak on the clean as you go part! This recipe was one of my favorites growing up. My Aunt Lula – yes that was here real name, used to make these when we visited. They are better after being stored a day or so, they become more chewy/soft. The are a prize winner too…. I won first prize with this recipe two years running in the Junior Division – fruit cookie category- at the Kern County Fair so many years ago! The Junior Division is 16 and under. There is a long story associated with the competition that I won’t share but, my sister Denise will remember the details!
2 ¼ Cups
Butter or margarine – I like butter
Oatmeal – Old Fashioned
- Mix applesauce, sugar, butter and raisins in saucepan. Heat up until very warm – just short of boiling.
- Mix flour, spices and salt in a separate bowl.
- Add 1 tsp soda to warm mixture, it will foam up pretty strong sometimes, stir.
- Add warm mixture to bowl with dry ingredients and mix well.
- Spoon the sticky dough onto cookie sheet in ball shapes – adjust size of ball as desired after first sheet is done.
- Do not lick fingers between each spoonful! Wait……
- Eat and enjoy …… homemade cookies have many fewer calories than store bought….. Don’t quote me though!
Pre-heat oven to 350 deg F
Bake 17-20 minutes